Thursday, July 31, 2014

FIT TIP: Step Away From the Sugar

That's right folks...
Step awaaay from the SUGAR!
(You're already sweet enough)


Did you know that your recommended daily intake for sugar is 
LESS than the amount in one can of soda! 
YIIIKES!!!


According to the World Health Organization, less than 5 percent of your total daily calories should be sugar.
For us girls that comes out to about 24g & guys 36g...
Click HERE for a quick video that visually breaks that down for you in terms of FOOD!

That’s tricky, given all the sneaky places sugar hides these days...
 like bottled salad dressings, ketchup, breads & even MILK!  
(Side note: A serving of milk contains on average, 12 grams of sugar! WHAT!?!)
And that's not to mention the obvious sources, like pastries!

A good rule of thumb is to aim for foods with less than 4 grams of sugar per serving, 
and look at the ingredients label for not only plain old sugar, 
but also high fructose corn syrup and organic cane juice.

Now don't go freaking out on me!  This doesn't mean you have to be deprived 
of a little sweetness in your lives!


Here are some of my favorite natural alternatives to plain ol' sugar...

Stevia... 
I even just planted my own stevia plant!

Coconut Palm Sugar... 
I get mine HERE

Agave... 
also available thru BBF or at most local grocery stores these days!

Maple Syrup... 
& NO, I dont mean the Mrs. Butterworth type. 
Get the "real" stuff people!

I know I was definitely shocked to find out how much sugar has been stowing away in my favorite foods... Especially when it comes to my condiments!
Luckily, I have found some amazingly easy to make & TASTY recipes that I have stared making to replace the store bought evils that I have banned from my household!

Would you like me to share some of these recipes, including one for sugar-free ketchup, with you!?!
If you do, drop me a comment below 
& be sure to subscribe to the blog up top so you dont miss them!

xo,
michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment